AUGUST 4, 2009: LRA Attacks Displace 18,000 in Sudan

LRA attacks displace 18,000 in Western Equatoria
 
SOURCE: Miraya FM
 
The Deputy Governor of Western Equatoria State, Joseph Ngere, told Miraya FM that the recent Lord's Resistance Army (LRA) attacks in several areas of the State have displaced about eighteen thousand people (18,000). Ngere said that unconfirmed number of people were abducted and killed at Tombura, Nabiyapi, Ezzo and Nzara.

Earlier, the Vice President of the Government of South Sudan (GoSS), Dr. Riek Machar, said the Joint military attack launched by Uganda and DRC against the LRA did not fulfill its expected results of forcing the LRA leader Joseph Kony to sign a final peace deal with the Ugandan Government.

While speaking to Miraya FM, Dr. Riek confirmed that a delegation from the LRA will be arriving to Juba soon to discuss the matter.

Dr. Riek further urged all sides to take the right path and intensify political communications to convince Kony to sign the final peace agreement, which the other sides had agreed upon last year. ..
 

Comments